[NFBCS] JAWS and Todo Process

Glen Gordon GGordon at Vispero.com
Fri Feb 5 13:39:56 UTC 2021

Hi, Everyone,

I researched this, have an explanation, and it's really rather funny.

When JAWS introduced the "Avoid Speech Cut Off" feature to help with sound cards that aggressively shut down when no audio was being sent, it was part of the JAWS process itself.  The feature works by constantly playing a silent stream of audio. This meant that it was incompatible with Audio Ducking since JAWS declares itself to be a ScreenReader, something for which other sounds should be ducked. Since it was constantly playing a silent stream all other sounds were always at a lower volume even if JAWS wasn't talking.

In the most recent JAWS update, we moved the Avoid Speech Cut Off feature to its own process called SilencePlayer. This process doesn't declare itself to be a screen reader and won't duck other audio but will still keep the sound card alive.

Now to the topic at hand. The Windows volume control tries to show the friendly name of each executable for which it can adjust volume. This name comes from either the ProductName or Product Description resource string; things that should be filled out by the developer and which have todo in their names by default.

Clearly, we need to fix this but it's nothing to worry about. Did give me a good chuckle on a Friday morning.

--Glen
-----Original Message-----
From: NFBCS <nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf of Rasmussen, Lloyd via NFBCS
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 6:38 AM
To: NFB in Computer Science Mailing List <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Rasmussen, Lloyd <lras at loc.gov>
Subject: Re: [NFBCS] JAWS and Todo Process

There is a new function, activated with insert-spacebar, followed by V, which allows you to adjust system or JAWS volume conveniently. That's what I would guess this is.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20542
202-707-0535     https://nls.loc.gov
The preceding opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Library of Congress, NLS.