[NFBCS] deploying a virtual machine

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Feb 5 15:36:02 UTC 2021

I use the libvirt framework and the virt-install command.  I know it is available on ubuntu 20.04 and fairly certain other linux distros have it as well.

This is how I boot off of the windows partition of a dual-boot system.  Note that you'll need to make sure you have a bios.bin file available and that you have a network bridge set up.

This will use KVM as the virtual platform, though you can choose others.

Happy to answer questions about errors and such, either on or off list.

#!/bin/bash
if [ ! -w / ]; then
   echo "I need to run as root." >&2
   exit 3