[NFBCS] need suggestions in response to accessibility issue refusing audio captcha solution

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 00:37:08 UTC 2021

Greetings and salutations:

In my experience, every time we run up against an organization that is unwilling to fix the CAPTCHA problem in a timely fashion, the fix is something that is not achievable within what we would regard as a reasonable amount of time. In an ideal world, all CAPTCHAs would be nonvisually accessible, and whenever they were used, would be deployed on every website we needed to use. Ah, but alas, we do not live in an ideal world. What then are we to do?

In the short term, I see no practical solution other than one which puts political or public pressure on the institution. And while this is happening, people who really need to utilize the service would have to use alternative techniques involving (dare I say it) sighted assistance. In the longer term, we might consider a legal challenge, but that, too, would take years to come to fruition, and there is no guarantee that we would win.

All of this depends on how much effort folks are willing to invest to address what I believe to be a very real problem. We know that accessible CAPTCHA solutions exist. The problem is persuading the institution to use them, and even under the best of circumstances, an implementation to convert to the accessible solution will probably take months to achieve.

I apologize if I sound pessimistic, but I do not see a quick fix to this vexing situation.

Regards,

Curtis Chong