[NFBCS] Looking for advice on advocating for accessibility

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:55:05 UTC 2021

Hello Justin:

I believe that you can communicate your concerns to the company in a way that is both diplomatic and informative. You should point out that if the company is truly interested in receiving the broadest possible user feedback, it should be able to offer text which usefully describes any images inasmuch as not doing so would categorically block nonvisual users from participating in the survey—something which you feel sure was never the intent to begin with.😉 At the very least, information should be provided which offers nonvisual users an opportunity to do what you did—that being, spend ten minutes with somebody at the company to get the image described. The fact that the survey was not intended to focus on accessibility concerns and thus of no interest to nonvisual users is not the point here. Blind people are interested in as many things as everybody else, and it would be a shame if they were blocked from participating in a user survey simply because there was no textual description of images that the person taking the survey might need to have in order to fully participate in the survey.

I don’t see a problem here in terms of being diplomatic and specific in terms of any communication you might send to the higher-ups.

If you want to soften it up a bit, you can that you are sure that there was no deliberate intent to exclude the blind  by not having text describing the images but that in reality, that is precisely what has happened.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong