[NFBCS] Looking for suggestions on a good Linux distribution

Joseph C. Lininger joe at pcdesk.net
Fri Jul 30 05:48:50 UTC 2021

Greetings,
There are lots of Linux distributions out there, and which you should
use depends on how you intend to use Linux and with your comfort level
with Linux. I personally use one called Arch Linux. It has a s"start
with little installed out of the box" and a DIY mentality which I find
appealing. Other popular distributions include Fedora, Debian, and
Ubuntu. (These are all more popular than Arch) There are also Linux
distributions that focus specifically on accessibility. These are
usually (possibly always) one of the more popular distributions such as
Debian which have been customized to include accessibility enhancements.
brltty will work with pretty much any distribution. For command line
screen reader, you'll probably want to use Speakup which comes with most
of today's Linux kernels. You'll need some other software to get that
working, namely espeak or espeak-ng (software speech) and espeakup (ties
espeak to speakup.)

To answer your question about booting both Linux and Windows, you'll
most likely end up using a boot loader that lets you choose which
operating system to boot (and selects a default after a few seconds if
you don't pick one.) Many of today's machines don't technically *have*
to be configured with this setup since you can use the EFI bios to
choose an OS if you really want to, but most find it convenient to go
ahead and use the boot loader from one of the operating systems to do it
since it makes things easier. I personally use the grub boot loader,
which is available with pretty much any modern Linux distribution.

Hope these general pointers help you on your journey.
Joe