[NFBCS] For those interested in AWS, ReactJS, Microservices & Event driven architecture

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Jun 14 17:33:54 UTC 2021

	Hello.  I am interested in this topic.  Having done a bit of research into related AWS
products, I'll offer the following observations:

1.  AWS products are similar to a knitted sweater.  That is, they're all tied together, and
once you begin using one product, especially the micro-service products, you'll find you're
using an entire suite of products.  In other words, pull one thread and pretty soon, you've got
the entire sweater.

2.  Each AWS product has its own pricing structure and schedule.  So, when calculating your
cost, it's important to keep in mind both the services you're using and the volume you're
running on each service.  It might be cheaper than what you're currently doing, but don't assume
it is, and certainly don't move forward without having a good notion of how to estimate your
ongoing costs.

3.  As you learn about these products and services, ask yourself, what is driving us to move in
this direction and begin doing things in this new way?  What benefits does this new direction
give us?  What costs/penalties does it impose?  Remember, that in computer science, what's old is
new again and just because something is new, doesn't mean it's better.  Are you wanting to do
the new thing because it's better or because it's different?

4.  AWS products vary widely in their accessibility, as does the quality of the documentation
for their AWS products.  Many things that cannot be done in the AWS web console for
accessibility reasons can be accomplished using the AWS CLI tool suite, if you can figure out
how to do it.  And that, in my experience, is the rub.  The documentation  for the AWS CLI is
not well developed, so if you can learn to read between the lines, you can do amazing things
with it.  If not, it can be a real challenge to use.

	Having said all that, AWS products represent an amazing array of services and I think it's
in your best interest to know as much about it as you can so you can make informed decisions
about how to implement and deploy projects going forward.

-thanks
-Brian