[NFBCS] Jupyter Notebook: Running code inside existing cells with code already in it

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:16:01 UTC 2021

Hi,

Has anyone on here used Jupyter Notebook before? If so, do you  know how to
run code in a code cell without re-running the example code already given in
an exercise?

I am studying a foundational data science subject for my computer science
degree and we have to do our assignments using the notebook.  I find it easy
to create cells and insert new ones and I can run code in them.  But I am
having trouble executing code In cells that have been created for our
practical classes, because whenever I write new code into the existing cell
and press CTRL+Enter, it attempts to run the example code as well as my own
and I get syntax errors because the lines of code run into each other.

Unfortunately, something slightly compounding my issues is that my class I
did today was with a lot of business / commerce students who knew nothing
about coding in general, let alone Python, so they had their own troubles
separate to mine and worked through the exercises comparatively slower than
I did, so they were not entirely helpful to me of no fault of their own.

As a compromise, I have resorted to using the default python.org interpreter
I have on my Win10 v2004 64-bit HP probook, and I think I will be fine when
creating new notebooks for my assignments.  But it annoys me having to
create new notebooks to do exercises rather than utilising what the academic
in question has already given us.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt

Undergraduate student

Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)

School of Information Technology

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Deakin University, Melbourne (Burwood) campus

https://sync.deakin.edu.au/profiles/student/njschmidt/

E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au <mailto:njschmidt at deakin.edu.au>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/njsch/

GitHub: https://github.com/njsch/