[NFBCS] Recommendations for Single Sheet or Non-Tractor Feed Braille Printers

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 18:11:12 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

Thank you to Greg, John, and those who wrote to me privately about Braille embossers.

I've had several tractor feed embossers over the years from Enabling Technologies and View Plus.

At work I have the View Plus Premiere 100 embossers and I've also used the Spot dot. John, I appreciate your input in terms of graphics, and I understand these printers excel in that area.

I used  the Enabling Technologies Romeo and Juliette embossers in my college years 30 years ago.:) They performed well but tractor feed was the only choice at the time.

One of the folks who wrote to me privately said paper would sometimes stick together with the single sheet feeders. This would seem to be an issue with the humidity of the room where the paper is or how it has been stored, this was a problem when I worked in a printer technical support job for ink printers back in the 90s.

The reason I wanted to move away from tractor feeding printers is because no matter what I do with my current printers, they jam a lot and I waste time feeing the paper through the printer, moving the box of paper to various angles to try to fix it to make it load  properly, and so forth. Sighted folks stopped using tractor feed printers long ago with fax machines and dot matrix printers so I figured our technology should also improve as well.

Greg, I appreciate your experience with Braille production, but if the printer holds cut sheet paper, in the same way that an ink printer does but with Braille paper, it shouldn't be necessary to cut any pages afterwards when printing. Perhaps I misread something in your message?

I'd also like to use the talking menus some of the newer embossers have. The tractor feed printers I could get at work don't have that option.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and opinions. Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Beth