[NFBCS] Smart Home-enabled Air Conditioning System, via Multi-controller, Compatible with Both Airwell and Panasonic

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 06:32:46 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I know this is probably a bit of a long-shot and sorry if it's too
off-topic. But I was wondering if someone on here may be able to help me.

Within the current rental property I share with my fellow tenants, I have
been trying to find a way of converting the current two air conditioning
systems we have, namely makes and models by the two different brands of
Panasonic and Airwell, into a singly-managed smart home-compatible system.
Within my own country of Australia, there are some locally-made products
that might be a good fit but I have encountered the following frustrating
problem, aside from the general question of any current uncertainty
concerning the accessibility of software apps and hardware remote controls:

I have found a company that makes a Genius Remote Control
<https://www.universalremotecontrols.com.au/air-conditioner-remotes/genius-r
emote-control-for-android-and-iphone.html>  that mediates between the
conventionally-built A/C models and smart home device through an app. But
although it is reportedly compatible with both Panasonic and Airwell, it is
only able to be set up to control one device at a time rather than multiple
devices; and it's currently out-of-stock anyway.

Further to this, I am also aware of a product such as the AirTouch 4
<https://www.airtouch.net.au/smart-air-conditioning/airtouch-4/> , a smart
air conditioning controller and app which allows for control of multiple
zones and A/Cs (up to four of the latter). But even though it is compatible
with Panasonic, it does not appear to support compatibility with any
probably much older Airwell products.

I guess it's a bit of a 'first-world' problem but I would really like to
find a hardware device with firmware that supports both, not just
universally for compatibility reasons but also with the ability to
simultaneously control them both via an app or even our Google home / Nest
speakers. I find the Panasonic remote control frustrating, if not difficult,
to use and we have lost our Airwell one.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt

Undergraduate student

Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)

School of Information Technology

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Deakin University, Melbourne (Burwood) campus

https://www.deakin.edu.au/

E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au <mailto:njschmidt at deakin.edu.au>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/njsch/

GitHub: https://github.com/njsch/