[NFBCS] Linux compatibility with JAWS

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Jan 27 23:43:01 UTC 2022

Hey Cricket,

As has been well stated already, jaws will not run directly on Linux. Many people have suggested orca. Feel free to investigate this option, but in my opinion orca is an inferior screen reader, an extra thing you have to get to know, and will likely add complexity to your project.

I would strongly suggest that you see if you can work on a Windows machine and use the Internet to access the Linux machine using something called SSH.  If you can, then you can use jaws on your Windows machine and run a program called putty, and access Linux via the Internet. You need to check with whoever is giving you Linux assignments and see if that will be an option.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Written while on the move,,