[NFBCS] CNBC Investing Club Accessibility

w3explorer at gmail.com w3explorer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 02:25:07 UTC 2022

Richard and Peter,

I mostly agree with both of you.

With  respect to Richard’s comment about wealth managers, I’ve tried a few over the years.  Most of them were recommendations from a family member who is a financial advisor.  My experience was that none of these “managers” made me a penny, but they were quick to take their commissions and fees. Those experiences, along with reading a Cramer book or two, made me want to manage my own accounts.

One of the things I’ve come to realize over the years is that sentiment rules.  And one technique to gauge sentiment is with candlestick analysis.  Since I have a small amount of vision left in one eye, I can see a very large candlestick chart.  So I tried MetaStock but it wasn’t very accessible.  But when I was doing the trial, I came across  a candlestick methodology by Steven Bigelow (candlestickforum.com).  But here too, accessibility is a major issue.  And so, after trying trendspider.com and tradeideas.com to no avail, I wrote my own software which is accessible.  I am now trying to follow Bigelow’s practices along with Cramer’s advice.  The one thing I’m trying to do is protect the down side at all costs rather than not just buy and hold forever.

My portfolio consists of both ETF’s and stocks with a little over 20% in cash waiting for the market to fall further before investing more.  I hope I won’t need to touch this account for 7-10 years.

There’s no perfect answer for individual investors who are competing with large institutions armed with AI.  But I hate to just turn a blind eye to a wealth manager or fully invest in ETF’s.

Thanks,

Dan.