[NFBCS] The Newest Version of Microsoft Quick Assist

Curtis Chong via groups.io chong.curtis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:35:49 UTC 2022

Hello everyone:

Microsoft has, as some of you may know, released a newer version of its
Quick Assist program. This program is the one used by the Microsoft
Disability Answer Desk to gain access to your computer when you require
remote assistance from a Disability Answer Desk agent.

It has been reported that when you start the newest version of Quick Assist,
you can only enter the code required by the Microsoft agent if you stop JAWS
and start Narrator and turn on Narrator's Scan Mode. This is quite
frustrating for many of us. When I contacted Vispero Technical Support about
this issue, the technician verified that this is, in fact, a problem and
that Microsoft is supposed to fix it.

I am pleased to tell you all that there is a work-around to this problem-a
work-around which I found by accident when working with the main screen
displayed by my Carbonite backup software. Here is how to make the Quick
Assist screen accessible to JAWS.

1.      Start Quick Assist. If you press CTRL+WINDOWS+Q to do this, you
will, alas, be taken to the older version of this software.

2.      Once you have Quick Assist up and running, Alt Tab to ensure focus
is in the Quick Assist Window. Then, perform a JAWS Convenient OCR against
the window: INSERT+SPACE, o, then w.

3.      Use the JAWS cursor to move around the window and perform a JAWS
Left Click (Number Pad slash key) while focused on any text. What should
happen is that the text is now in a virtual window which you navigate as if
you were on a web page. Now, when asked to enter a code, you can do so
without having to stop JAWS.

I hope this information is useful to the company assembled.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong