[NFBCS] Screen Readers and Mark Down Text Resume

alan.k.martinez.02 at gmail.com alan.k.martinez.02 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:55:52 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

My Lighthouse job seekers counselor(s) suggested I re-format my resume to
make it easier for people with vision disabilities who rely on screen
readers to review.

My current resume is in a format that I've used for decades.  It was created
in Word but was formatted more like a table or spreadsheet where sections
were in spaces like spreadsheet cells.  This is how the Word template was
formatted when I first used it.

I recently learned a little bit of Mark Down language and like the way it
can format and print like HTML but is in more of a text file.  I was
wondering if I send a mark down file of my resume to recruiters who use
screen readers how well it would translate with all the formatting marks
that might be in it.  Especially like ordered lists where the list is just
preceded by 1 and a dot.  I'm sure this will go out to visually abled people
to but they can see the formatted text instead of the encoded text.

I ask because I still have some usable vision and do not have a screen
reader except for the Voice Dream suite and I don't use it a lot yet.  I
guess I can test it there.