[NFBCS] Help Requested: Slow Response with JAWS and Nested Virtual Machines

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:58:37 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are doing well.

I am doing some malware analysis training for work where nested virtual
machines are required for the malware analysis lab. I have JAWS running in a
VMWare virtual machine with good response time with JAWS for the host and
the first virtual machine. However, a second virtual machine needs to be run
inside the first one because this is where the malware will be run and
analyzed. I have installed JAWS into the second virtual machine located
inside the first machine. This nested process is a requirement. JAWS does
talk in the second nested virtual machine,    but the response time is
extremely slow. If I press an arrow key, the tab key, or anything else, it's
at least five or more seconds before JAWS responds.

The virtual machines are all running Windows 10, and the host is also
Windows 10. The computer host is 16 GB, and the virtual machines are 8 GB
with 8 virtual processors.

I tried running a Linux virtual machine as one of the nested virtual
machines, with Ubuntu and Orca and Orca comes up fine but also has the same
slowness with key board response and slow computer navigation.

Clearly, there are some settings that need tweaking.

Another problem is that my Focus Blue 80 cell display runs just fine in the
first virtual machine, but it will not run in the second one. The USB port
is enabled on the first and second virtual machines and the Braille display
drivers have been installed and selected through JAWS..

Would moving to a Hyper-vee virtual setup make JAWS respond better? I had
the same issue with running the virtual machines with NVDA as well.

Respectfully,

Beth