[NFBCS] Important: Braille drivers in apple devices and operating systems

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu Oct 20 22:21:11 UTC 2022

	hello.  Does the resolution site specific examples of such removals?
If so, what are the sitations?
Depending on which examples are sited, it might be that the vendor of the device in question
requested Apple remove such support for said devices.  It's also possible, and highly likely,
that as Apple moves forward with iOS, they do not have current versions of the drivers which
are compatible with the new operating system.  It's generally the case that the drivers for a
given device in an operating system, for example Windows, iOS or Mac OS X, are not written by
the vendor of that operating system, i.e. Microsoft or Apple.  Consequently, in order for a
given driver to remain in that vendor's operating system, the vendor must retain operating
system compatibility with the old driver, or they must get a new updated driver from the vendor
which is compatible with the latest operating system product.  With all of that said, I could
totally see drivers for old braille devices that are no longer supported by their manufacturers
get dropped from iOS simply because there is no one available to update the drivers for those
devices in the new operating system environment.

	Without having a better understanding of the specific issues this resolution is trying to
address, I'd say it should probably be withdrawn, or, at the very least, revised to encourage
Apple to retain support for older braille devices as long as possible in its operating systems.
Adding to that, if we're going to entertain resolutions of this type, why not call out
Humanware or VFO Group for having such a short support life cycle on their very expensive braille
display products? When one spends $3,000 plus on a specialized access device, one expects that
device to be supported long after the tax credit one received to purchase it in the first place
has expired.  If they did that, drivers inside Apple iOS or Android would stay there a lot
longer because there would be someone there to maintain them.

-thanks
-Brian