[NFBCS] Important: Braille drivers in apple devices and operating systems

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:40:47 UTC 2022

Thanks for the input.

I generally encourage resolution authors to provide legitimate sources
if available. It makes sure that resolutions committee members can do
their work (i.e revising resolutions) rather than fact-checking.

The author did not present any sources. They referenced a 2018
agreement between unnamed assistive technology companies and unnamed
mainstream technology companies. It also said that assistive tech
companies had publicized when Apple "walked away" from said agreement.
I combed the Google-verse for that agreement and any publicizing of
Apple ignoring it, but was unable to find any references to any of
that.

That should've been a sign to start fact-checking the whole thing, but
it's easy to whip people into the inaccessibility frenzy. And also, my
job is to revise, not to fact-check, so I assumed that anyone bringing
accusations of that nature would know their stuff.

My co-editor and I have been combing AppleVIs, and I called someone
who works at Apple. I'll contact Jonathan Mosen shortly--thanks for
the suggestion, Curtis. If the author is unable to present lots of
credible sources, I will have this resolution withdrawn. I don't want
to damage NFB's credibility or relationship with Apple, which
generally has been very reliable.