[NFBCS] Important: Braille drivers in apple devices and operating systems

Peter pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Fri Oct 21 18:37:35 UTC 2022

Hello Amanda and everyone,

	It needs to be delt with both ways. There are other things I wish
Apple and others who support PDAS would do to make life easier for blind
people who use them. For example the ability to control speech parameters in
the PDA and in supported screen readers such as Voiceover, and V with one's
voice a feature that could have saved us money when Mary's iPhone speech
sped up and she was unable to slow it down with the roder resulting in
unnecessary trips to T-Mobile and an unnecessary caregiver expense to take
her there. Being able to say, "Hay Siri, slow down Voiceover speech" would
have saved her this frustration and expense.

	Another feature of interest to us is the ability to enable or
disable audio description or closed captioning. With Amazon Prime video
enabling audio description can be acrobatic. This process could be
simplified if one could say "Alexa, tell Prime Video to enable audio
description." If Amazon was to include this skill for the lady enabling and
disabling audio description would be much easier.

Whenever we hear of new capabilities Amazon, Apple, and Google roll out for
their PDAS to razzle-dazzle us with we're not impressed! They add these
fantastic features while ignoring requests from their blind and disabled
users for features that would make their devices and software far easier to
use. Yours truly has discussed this with Apple and attempted to do so with
Amazon all to no avail. Resolutions to address issues like Braille drivers
and capabilities that should have been added to PDAS and screen readers
should have been included long ago. They're more likely to listen to the
voice of the organized blind than to single individuals. Bring on the
resolutions!!

Peter Donahue