[NFBCS] [EXTERNAL EMAIL] Re: Screen Reader or Text to Speech for Sheet Music

dana mohsen dana.mohsen.azim at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 18:16:57 UTC 2022

Hello,
The only ways I know of to read music with screen-readers are as follows:
1. using music notation software, such as Sibelius or Muse Score. If you do
this, the file has to be in XML format, which is the type of editable music
file format. In that sense, it is similar to Microsoft Word files.
2 Using programs such as GoodFeel from Dancing Dots or Braille Music
Editor. Both programs are paid and may be too expensive. Again, you have to
use XML files, wich  are not common.
You have to convert your PDF files to XML files, which is done through
other music OCR programs, such as Photo Score, which are also paid.
Based on my experience, braille music is what works for me when reading
music, and Sibelius is what works best for writing music.
I'm really sorry for the long reply.
Hope that helps.
Best,
Dana