[NFBCS] The Fine Line Between Reasonable Versus Unreasonable Accommodations

William Grussenmeyer wdg31415 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:44:42 UTC 2022

Well Steve, I plan on using my financial independence to make some new
interfaces or tools.  I think setting up a  non-profit opensource
company would be best way to spend my money.  Instead of writing a
script for NVDA or JAWS to access just one Cloud computing service, I
was thinking of making a universal interface application that could
access all major cloud services (azure, aws, gcloud, etc)and could be
used by any screen reader on any platform.  I am thinking of a cross
platform react type application.  This would also be helpful in some
ML and data analytics as many cloud providers offer ML and data
analytic services built into them.

On 9/4/22, Steve Jacobson via NFBCS <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
> once I have benefited from other blind people suggesting something I had not
> thought of.  I am glad that you have the financial resources to have the
> option to not work.
>
> To paraphrase what Susie said to some degree, most of us are in a position
> where we really need to work to get what we want out of life.  This means
> figuring out how to use the tools that are available to us and also the job
> that fits our strengths.  I think it is generally very unlikely that most of
> us would be doing the exact jobs as sighted people as we are doing as blind
> people.  For me, had everything else been the same, perhaps I would have
> been more successful had I had vision.  However, having vision would have
> changed many things.  I likely would have spent some time in Vietnam, for
> one thing, and who knows what changes that could have caused.  Therefore, I
> do not spend a lot of time thinking about what I could have had if I had
> normal vision.
>
> The fact is that our assistive technology could use improvement.  Whether it
> is truly buggy or simply can't convey the necessary information doesn't
> matter.  I recall about six years ago it was my job to prepare a daily
> report that involved getting some information from the web and from an excel
> spreadsheet and paste results into a second spreadsheet.  Every time I
> pasted the data, Excel crashed, but it didn't crash without a screen reader.
>  I figured out a way around the problem, though, but it took extra time.
> Nobody could tell me why I was experiencing the crash, and either a later
> version of the screen reader or Excel corrected the problem.  My point is
> that we do have to deal with bugs sometimes.  I can admit now that when this
> would happen to me at 5:30 in the morning, I probably exclaimed that this
> just was not fair.  It certainly wasn't fair, and it is a case where I
> needed one of those extra spoons that were discussed earlier.  The point,
> though, isn't whether I would be a better employee if I were sighted.  Even
> if it could be shown that I would be a better employee if I had vision, my
> concern is with being a good enough employee to be worth what I am paid.
>
> William, you and some others here have a valuable perspective that many of
> us do not have.  You have accessed computers visually and you have worked
> through assistive technology.  Have you considered donating time to the NVDA
> project or perhaps tried to get a paid position at Vispero to influence
> development in a positive way?  I have ideas of how assistive technology
> could be better, but I do not have your perspective.
>
> The bottom line here is that most of us do not have the option of not
> working.  We have to take our talents and our assistive technology and do
> the best we can.  Many of us have managed to be successful doing that and we
> will continue trying to do our best for ourselves and for those who come

>>> 26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7
>>> C1%7C0%7C637978284445429673%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwM
>>> DAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp
>>> ;sdata=MAr5GyLhDF9XqitfAOFOFrXRgCzb4Lo47Ievv3NPSlI%3D&reserved=0

>>> NFBCS:
>>>
>>> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbn
>>> et.org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fnfbcs_nfbnet.org%2Fchong.curtis%2540gmai
>>> l.com&data=05%7C01%7C%7C26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e
>>> 7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637978284445429673%7CUnknown%7CT
>>> WFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVC
>>> I6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=SehyHXmvYddHg6Yw3QYh2U3siOmCOXmTr4
>>> Ed9Ie9Qjk%3D&reserved=0

>>> 26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7
>>> C1%7C0%7C637978284445429673%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwM
>>> DAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp
>>> ;sdata=MAr5GyLhDF9XqitfAOFOFrXRgCzb4Lo47Ievv3NPSlI%3D&reserved=0
>>> NFBCS:
>>> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbn
>>> et.org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fnfbcs_nfbnet.org%2Fcarcione%2540access.n
>>> et&data=05%7C01%7C%7C26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e7fe
>>> 9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637978284445429673%7CUnknown%7CTWFp
>>> bGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6M
>>> n0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=8cFBBmvjj9Q92N25Nj9LfaA0AQmSqZHceVBpm
>>> K1aRhA%3D&reserved=0

>>> 26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7
>>> C1%7C0%7C637978284445585897%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwM
>>> DAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp
>>> ;sdata=dqisKFgr2eKHAFKx7btglVWlPWVP57ZeyZxwznhdHPs%3D&reserved=0
>>> NFBCS:
>>> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbn
>>> et.org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fnfbcs_nfbnet.org%2Ftyler%2540tysdomain.c
>>> om&data=05%7C01%7C%7C26124fb48a9f4cb5a93508da8dde9985%7C84df9e7fe
>>> 9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637978284445585897%7CUnknown%7CTWFp
>>> bGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6M
>>> n0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Nd3xyt9%2F4uv%2BV8edzRH3MqYdoJeDCZ4mx