[NFBCS] generating discussion: what accessibility barriers would you like to see documented?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Sep 5 17:14:32 UTC 2022

Amanda:

Thanks a lot for these ideas, this is awesome.

I'm storing everything in notes so that I can work out the basics of the
wiki. I feel it makes sense to have something visible and that people
can see.

I want to say here that everyone, no matter how compitent you might be
always has a struggle in an area; some are better at masking it than
others. There are all kinds of reasons someone might find something to
be more accessible than you: perhaps they're not doing the same thing
you are, perhaps they have more (or less) vision, which does tend to
matter in some cases, perhaps they had help figuring it out that you did
not, perhaps they had other techniques that you simply don't know.

Part of why I'm so excited about this wiki is that it lets people
document these tools, techniques and ideas, and gives us a collaberative
platform to work from. By us, I mean all blind people solving technical
problems. We're here because the people that came before us built things
to help us grow and do more, and there are still people building tools,
scripts, programs and etc to help, but sharing your knowledge is also
critical. I felt a lot of what you said about not being able to
recommend someone take on a degree in computer science, and that makes
me incredibly sad to talk about or think about, because programming is
something I love and want to do better at. But I can say this because
I'm lucky enough to have landed in a job that encourages exploration and
growth; skill played some part in me getting to where I am, but honestly
it was a lot of knocking on doors and not giving up and eventually
getting lucky that took me from somewhere I struggled to get up and do
every day to where I am. Taking this back to spoon theory, I want to see
a collaboration that gives people the ideas and techniques they may not
have had before, so that they are left with more spoons at the end of
the day to do what it is they love, or just to go for a walk and feel
like they have the ability to do so.

Thanks,

Ty