[NFBCS] Feedback Request

tyler Littlefield tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Sep 6 02:06:49 UTC 2022

Hi Mike,

A name is actually something that would help. The only issue is that
this has expanded beyond computer science. Some people have said they
want to work on math solutions, others music translation solutions and
document them. Something discussed in another thread (I think it was
another thread) is the idea of using Github. A groups.io would make
sense as a mailing list to communicate, and perhaps we should move some
of this discussion to something so we're not clogging up someone's
inbox, eventually. The bonus for a Github site is two-fold: first, it
enables people to contribute who have a github account and is a really
well known service and site, which would potentially enable other people
to add content, but the workflow also allows us to use a theme. This
would create a responsive website where the site works better for mobile
devices on mobile devices, and scales up to larger screens for desktop
devices. This is really important because it will put us high in the
search results when googling things that we've set up resources or
articles on, which could help direct traffic to other sites and place
this in a location that is easier to notice. Ease of discovery and use
for everyone is, at least in my oppinion critical to insuring this be as
widely available as possible. This isn't just my project, however, so
I'm open to any ideas or thoughts people have. This can't be a single
person's pride and joy because there's simply too much to be done here,
and the project is by definition collaborative and community driven.

To answer your second question, I'm by far not an expert on this, so I'm
interested to know other people's thoughts and ideas. Despite
programming for a really long time, I've only  had experience in a few
different companies. One of them was using a lot older technology and
did code reviews much like I imagine they happened in the 90s. There
were accessibility issues, but for the most part they didn't interfere
with my ability to work. More modern companies using more platforms
certainly aren't the same, however. Even here I've been incredibly lucky
to find a job at a company that is open to accessibility problems and is
willing and interesting to find solutions. I can speak to a few issues here:

We were using Tenrox, for my first two years at this company. It is a
time management system that we needed to enter hours on for project
planning/etc. This was not accessible in the slightest. I spent a while
attempting to solve the problem and had to reach out to my manager to
let him know; unfortunately this meant that he was on the hook to enter
my time for me every week. I could email him when changes to the typical
distribution changed. I realize that I'm incredibly lucky to have
someone who is willing to do this, however and it is not the chosen
solution. It also helped my case that I tried to create other solutions.
Senior management is aware that I used their API and attempted to write
an interface to enter my own time, but that didn't work out because the
API wasn't all that well documented.

Other issues at various companies included not being able to present. We
used Skype for Business at one of my internships, and I would have to
present testcases, sometimes over conference because people I was
working with would sometimes be remote. Everyone used Skype there
instead of Skype for business for regular chat, and we had group chats.
I would send out an email with my calendar link letting them know to
RSVP to me, and a few minutes before each meeting I would create a skype
thread I could screenshare with including everyone that was remote
wishing to work with me. This felt like a reasonable solution and no one
seemed to care too much.

When I work with websites that aren't accessible, sometimes parts of
them are, or sometimes people can send me links to pages I can't
otherwise access. I've made changes to backend systems at various places
when they were worked on in-house to fix it for myself. Interestingly
enough, this also tends to fix issues for others. I've
scripted/automated some issues that I couldn't otherwise solve, as well.

Sometimes if I need to do something that is only done through a backend
service like submit information to accounting, or HR, or anyone else
I'll sometimes just show up at their desk (this worked when we weren't
all remote) or send them an email and see if they have a few minutes to
talk to me. Usually once I explain something I've been able to work out
a solution. This falls firmly in the networking bucket of the ideas you
mentioned. One of the hardest parts about this solution is that it
requires I stash my frustration, because approaching someone when you're
upset is likely not going to get them on your side. They have a million
things to do every day, and you are essentially depending on their good
will to help you resolve your problem. Making connections through the
company has always been important for me. This goes farther than just
connecting to people in offices; if I'm in a place where I know that
I'll struggle to get the right k-cups, or know where drinks are in the
employee fridge, etc, sometimes talking to the receptionist who handles
these issues or someone in facilities is enough to insure my very own
favorite box of k-cups never runs out and it's at my desk so I can just
take one to the maker with me. There are still things I can't solve or
handle, and I try as much as possible to overcome those things by being
a better employee and helping out in other places, which certainly
creates another layer of pressure in some instances.

Thanks,

Ty