[NFBCS] The Fine Line Between Reasonable Versus Unreasonable Accommodations

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Sep 6 07:27:08 UTC 2022

	hello William.  I appreciate your perspective on access technology and the state of the
world.  I want to make a couple of points and suggestions with regard to what you wrote and
what you are thinking of doing in the future.

	First, I don't think there's anyone on this list who thinks that access technology is so
great when compared to sighted technology.  But, it is what is currently available.  And, if it
helps us build careers, make sufficient amounts of money that we can live independently, have
and maintain families, and otherwise fully participate in society as contributing members, then
it is of value to us and we should embrace it and improve it as we are able in our individual
ways.

	As to what you'd like to do in the future, I'll set before you a challenge.  One of the
big challenges facing blind folks in all arenas of their lives, when compared with sighted
folks, is: how to get large amounts of data into their heads in a short amount of time.  The
cannonical project to address this issue has been the NFB's Blind Driver Challenge.  Can we
figure out a way to get enough data intoo a blind person's head fast enough that they can
actually drive a car?  But, really, this is a general issue that applies in every aspect of a
blind person's life.   If you can figure out how to get closer to a solution to this problem in
a meaningful way, you will have advanced the state of access technology by orders of magnetude.

	I don't know if you'll find this problem sufficiently interesting enough to pursue, but if
you do, I think your perspective and experience as both a blind and sighted person will assist
you greatly in the quest.  In the mean time,congratulations on gaining financial independence
during your 5 year stint in industry.

-thanks
-Brian