[NFBCS] Defender Firewall

Lewis Wood lewislwood at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 17:43:57 UTC 2023

I found a solution for my situation regarding wsl not being shared publicly
to local area network.

No need for netsh  and the connectaddress=<some changing address>

Docker to the rescue.

So instead of just testing as I develop under wsl I can just run my source
files and runit under a docker container.

Simply publish the port.

Example:

Assume you have a dockerfile that sets up an image for nodejs

1.	Docker build -tag node-lw-server .
2.	Docker run -publish 7000:8000  node-lw-server
3.	Curl http://192.1668.50.193:7000/test

My computers ip address is static, only my wsl changes.  Docker publishes
the ip address to the localhost and is visible to the local area network.

You can find out your computers ip address by running  at the DOS command
prompt:

Ipconfig

The output you pay attention to the ipv4 lines. Ignore adapters you are not
using.

For me I have 2 ethernet adapter and 1 wireless adapter. I only want the
wireless adapter.

This was quite confusing for me for awhile, since my firewall settings from
my windows 10 days must have created a problem.  Firewall reset solved it. I
am running Windows 11 Pro

Lewis Wood

lewislwood at gmail.com <mailto:lewislwood at gmail.com>