[NFBCS] Computer Science Course Or Program Accessibility Requirement's

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Sat Aug 19 01:57:04 UTC 2023

I can only speak to our institution, but there are no formal learning
objectives/outcomes for our programs or courses that mention accessibility.
Courses like Web Development and Principles of Human-Computer Interaction
may have some coverage of accessibility. They do when I teach them,
however, it is up to the professor to determine whether to include it. And
neither of these courses is required for a computer science degree at our
institution.

I'm unaware of any specific initiatives. However, likely the best way to
make inroads would be to address concerns to the primary standards body
(ABET). They currently have no requirements that accessibility be an
integral part of any of their accredited programs. Perhaps facilitating a
discussion between ABET and IAAP might be beneficial (if such discussions
have not already taken place).

I think the biggest challenge to requiring this will be the diversity of
specializations in computer science. People studying AI/ML or distributed
systems or high-performance computing or formal languages or any number of
other non-user-facing disciplines simply won't have a need for this in the
curriculum. And though it SHOULD be a requisite part of all HCI and web and
mobile development courses, there's no standardized curriculum for these.

But challenges aren't insurmountable...