[NFBCS] Citrix, JAWS, and Braille displays

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Tue Aug 22 11:53:44 UTC 2023

Hi Rene.

Did you get any answers?

I found Citrix impossible and a real obstacle.  Where I was working, it was
a place where there were icons that people clicked to take them to whatever
application they needed.  It was a security thing, as well as convenient,
but it never worked for me.  As I understand it, an icon takes a person to a
different server.  Unless Jaws is running on that server, Jaws stops
working.  It's possible, though difficult, to get Jaws installed on a
server, but you always have to go to that server.  That is by no means
certain, as there's usually a pool of servers.  And, if you need to jump to
a second server, all bets are off.  Jaws won't work on a second jump, even
if it's on the second server.

So, I had to get direct access to the applications I needed, and skip the
Citrix.  That wasn't really hard, except it confused the heck out of techs
who were used to only giving people the Citrix shell and made the security
gang nervous, even if I was accessing apps securely through VPN.

Once I got it set up with my long-time employer, it was easy to go on, but,
when I started working for a consultant, it became a real drag on my
productivity, explaining the situation and getting people to give me the
access I needed, which always took more time than it really needed.

That was my experience with Citrix and Jaws.  It was not a happy one.

Tracy