[NFBCS] creating a 3-key shortcut hotkey for Windows 10 even when you are not the machine administrator

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:34:12 UTC 2023

Hello,

Below are steps to configure a hotkey to launch a program in Windows 10.
These steps work even if you are not the administrator of the machine.
I recently have had to use a Windows 10 computer for work without administrator privileges.
Although many of us know how to make a 3-key hot key for an application and benefit from this method, it does not work when you are not the machine administrator.
I would like to hear from other blind Windows users about this issue and possible work-arounds.

Unfortunately, even though there may be many shortcuts on the desktop, if they are the result of an admin install, they are unchangeable without admin rights.
This means that if you are not the machine administrator, you can not use one of these shortcuts by going to properties and filling out shortcut hot key.

These 14 steps create a user generated shortcut which can be altered for a desired application
If you are the machine administrator and you already have a shortcut on the desktop, you can skip to step 8 and follow along.

1. Press Win + S
2. Type the first few letters as you normally would when starting the application
The resulting dialog box is split horizontally.
The left side is a list of results or list items whose names start with the letters you typed.  That list is split vertically by best match at the top, then a list of apps, and finally search phrases for the web.
The right is the dialog for whichever list item from the left half is in focus.
3. Once the list item of choice is in focus, right arrow to its dialog.
4. Arrow down to 'Open File Location' press Enter. When the file location opens, a shortcut (or possibly the executable) will be in focus, but this one cannot be hotkeyed without admin rights.
5. Press Shift + 10 to open its right click dialog
6. Press 's' to create a user shortcut on your desktop and confirm.
7. Alt + F4 to close that location then Win + E to open Windows Explorer
8. Press windows-D to go to desktop.
9. Press the first letter of your shortcut name until you land on the shortcut.
10 Press Shift + F10 to open its right click dialog
11 Press 'r' to open properties for the shortcut
12 Tab to the 'Shortcut key' field.  In my case tabbing twice brought me to the right field.
13. Enter your hotkey combination.
I recommend the hotkey be 3 keys. ALT+CTRL+letter is a good choice.
For example, ALT+CTRL+j for latest version of JAWS, JAWS 2023.
14. Tab to the Apply button. In my case tabbing 6 times brought me to the right control.

There does not seem to be a Windows way to catalog user created hot keys.
You will know a particular combination is in use when you try to type it in the 'Shortcut key' field and it does not take.
If you delete the shortcut, the hotkey combination applied to it will only be available for reuse after machine restart.

Best Regards,
John