[NFBCS] CompTIA Certification

dan.tevelde at comcast.net dan.tevelde at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 19:28:40 UTC 2023

Hello John,

I appreciate it that you would like me to do technical support for you. I do
help people in my local NFB chapter with problems they have using their
computers and iPhones. I don't always succeed though. I have found that
everyone has their own learning style. Becoming employable is a complicated
issue and there are no easy answers.

I hadn't thought of your consideration of remoting into another computer but
that should have been obvious to me. The only options I'm aware of are using
Teamviewer which isn't great for accessibility and using the Windows Quick
Assist option. I'm not sure if a JAWS tandem connection would help someone
with problems not related to JAWS. I think there is something called Remote
Incident Manager, but I don't know how much it costs. I'm amazed at how
quickly Apple can do diagnostics while you are using an iPhone or Apple
watch. No doubt doing tech support would be a high-pressure environment. I
would need to react quickly and deal with irate customers. I'm not sure
about job security. At my last job, all support desk functions were
outsourced to Infosys. Dealing with Infosys was trying due to not
understanding Indian accents, poor phone call quality, and getting a
technician to understand an issue.

I'm not sure that being a software engineer is realistic. I was enrolled in
a technical school last year and things didn't work out. The situation was
rather complicated. I feel guilty that things didn't work out considering
that I put a considerable amount of time and effort in learning the material
and completing assignments. I don't know anything about Linux. I have tried
Orca on a Linux computer but couldn't get BRLTTY to work. Recently I did get
it to work on an Android phone. I didn't want to use BrailleBack or the
native Braille support in Android 13.

I'm not sure what to do now. I guess everyone has successes and failures.
The point is not giving up. I like my parttime job though I wish I could
work more hours.

Dan