[NFBCS] CompTIA Certification

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Jan 27 20:24:34 UTC 2023

	Hello.  While the question of artificial intelligence writing software, rather than
humans, is interesting, I wouldn't count humans out of the software writing game just yet.  All
software written, whether it be simple programs that do repetitive well defined tasks, or more
complicated software that serve a higher function, implements policies that humans design and
use.  As such, those policies will have edge conditions which dictate the software behave in
specific ways at specific times.  I believe it will be a good while before  artificial
intelligence will be able to reliably implement those edge conditional behaviors in an
efficient manner. While the artificial intelligence used to implement  IBM's Big Blue chess
playing computer years ago was primitive when compared to today's AI technology, it's important
to remember that the chess masters weren't pitting their skill against a computer, but,
rather, they were pitting their skill against a team of prorgrammers telling the IBM computer
what to do.  ChatGpt is, as I say, a far more complicated system, but, ultimately, it's also a
set of computers being told what to do by humans.  If one thinks of it like that, then the
question becomes, would I rather hire a software engineer to write the software I need, someone
who can talk with and who can help me design exactly what I need, or would I rather enlist the
services of a computer controlled by people I have nothing to do with to write software I have
no way of modifying once it comes out of the computer?

	It may be that software engineers will use services like ChatGpt to help them write
repetitive software faster, just as writers will use it to help them write  repetitive stories,
but I don't think the job of the software engineer is going away anytime soon.

And, all of this discussion, without even touching on the morass of issues related to
intellectual property that get raised when ChatGpt or services like it are used to write
software.

-thanks
-Brian