[NFBCS] [program-l] Python Training Resources for NVDA User

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Jul 10 23:33:52 UTC 2023

	hello Jim.  Yes, there are a lot of resources to help you learn to integrate python
programs into NVDA.  Instead of Jaws scripts, NVDA has the notion of add-ons, which are python
libraries that get loaded into NVDA's memory space at run time and can be triggered by various
events, either certain key presses, or the activation of specific programs.  If you search for
nvda-addons at nvda.org, you'll find the mailing list, which consists of addon developers, as well
as the developer guide.   To help me gain an understanding, I downloaded the NVDA source, which
is written in python and C++, to help me get started.  I also downloaded a few addons to look at
for ideas on how to begin writing addons, or modifying existing addons.  There is a python
console built into NVDA, which allows you to run test queries and to check for the existence of
certain functions and libraries.  I believe NVDA is still running with Python-3.7, so you'll
want to make sure you have documentation for that version of python.

Hope that helps.
-Brian