[NFBCS] Boot-time speech approaches (was Re: Jaws and Outlook)

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri Jun 2 13:39:57 UTC 2023

This is in response to the recommendation for using Narrator for boot-time speech.

Except for one scenario, I have come to believe this is the approach that makes the most sense to recommend
in general. One reason is that it minimizes security concerns between IT folk and screen reader users and
vendors. It also reduces points of dependence at the critical time of system startup, meaning for example
that I don't have to worry about which vendor to pester if things don't work right on my login screen.

But the one scenario where I do recommend a boot-time non-Narrator screen reader is this: If I am helping a
non-tech-inclined friend manage a computer remotely, such as for performing updates and configuration, a
boot-time remote-control solution that works well with speech is essential. I don't know of a better one for
this currently than NVDA and NVDA Remote. I'm all ears for alternatives on this one, with the immediate
confession that it's been a long time since I seriously sought alternatives.