[NFBCS] Slightly OT: Microsoft and I Are Fighting over Control of My Laptop

Nicole Torcolini torcolini at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 23:01:03 UTC 2023

            First, please don't reply unless you have an answer or comment
on what I actually asked. I know that some people probably don't agree with
this, but it is my computer, and I am aware of the possible risks that come
with it, so no unsolicited advice about security, please.

            I consider this to be related to accessibility because JAWS uses
a lot of memory.

            I don't allow most unnecessary processes to run in the
background because I don't like using up memory. Also, I particularly don't
like windows update and related processes running because I absolutely hate
it when I leave my laptop alone to do something only to return later to find
it at the log on screen because it rebooted without permission for windows
update.

            I have taken measures to keep windows update from running
without permission, including most recently changing a value in the
registry, but Microsoft keeps undoing anything and everything that I do.

            Is there some way to keep Windows update from running without
permission? I know that there is a pause for seven days option, but I don't
want to use that-because I might not be ready at exactly seven days to
install the updates and then have my laptop restart on me. Any suggestions?