[NFBCS] visual studio code

bjduarte at asu.edu bjduarte at asu.edu
Sat Mar 25 16:56:54 UTC 2023

Hey thee Pete,

I have used VS Code for years on a Mac with no problem at all. I have also
used VS Code on Windows using Jaws with no problems at all. VS Code is
accessible and offers lots of ways of executing commands from shortcut key
strokes to a search function that is amazing. I have honestly never heard of
a github virtual machine but here is what I will say. While virtual machines
are not typically the best for running a full desktop, running secure shells
with a terminal is usually pretty solid. When using a screen reader it is
difficult to use a virtual machine because we do not use a mouse to interact
with the interface. When using a screen reader we use keyboard commands
which presents the issue of which system are you issuing commands to? It
could be screen reader specific commands, host machine commands, and virtual
system commands. I know some virtual machines have tried to fix this with
Unity view patching all commands into the virtual machine but it is not
perfect.

I wish I had better news for you but my suspicion is that you are trying to
issue commands to the virtual machine and the host machine is not allowing
them to pass through. Typing text into the virtual machine will probably
work but when executing other commands the host computer is not knowing how
to handle where the commands should be going. Perhaps you can ask your
professor which tools they have loaded on the github instance so you can
duplicate them on your personal machine. From there you can write your code
on your personal machine and load it to github as you are doing with full
access to the tools you need.

Bryan Duarte Ph.d.