[NFBCS] Real-time sound generation on Windows/Mac/Linux

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Oct 19 20:46:19 UTC 2023

In the days of DOS, and even Windows through XP, I wrote and used little background programs that generated
clicks for various system events, such as incoming bytes on a serial port, calls to a certain software or
hardware interrupt, etc. I also had a small program that helped me analyze file formats by producing extremely
short tones, one per byte, pitch representing the values of the byte from 0 through 255.

All of these utilities used direct PC speaker hardware access. Nowadays of course, that is no longer
practical; and ironically, as technology improved, my ability to do this little thing has wayned.

So now I finally get round to asking: Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool or package to use for these
two things? Compatibility with Windows. I want to do these things specifically:

1. Generate a small click for an event, with the understanding that thousands of these events may occur in one second.

2. Generate either a very short tone, or start a short tone with a way to shut it off or replace it on demand,
again with the understanding that this will be a continuous stream of sound.

A very nice-to-have would be the ability, for item 2, to pick the wave form - sine, exponential, sawtooth,
etc. Another nice-to-have, almost a requirement, is the ability to generate any number of these
simultaneously, possibly with a balance position between channels.

Now, for what I have tried or researched:

Sound Exchanger (SoX): Very good at making sounds to spec, but bad at real-time continuous updating of what to
produce, unless I missed a trick somewhere.

FluidSynth: Says it can do real-time sound but is based on MIDI, which seems like an unnecessary complication
for this.

CSound: Steep learning curve but says it can do real-time sound. This is my first intended attempt, if nobody
has a better idea.

Other packages I've heard of but not tinkered with or researched extensively:
Faust, which I believe is a redesign or wrapper for Supercollider.
Overtone.
Reaktor, but I believe that costs $200 and I don't know if it does what I want.

I also read of a project called Loomer but don't have enough info to know if that belongs in my list.

Any and all thoughts most welcome.

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin