[NFBCS] Filling Out PDF Forms With Adobe Acrobat

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 20:58:36 UTC 2023

Greetings all:

I'd like to share a few tidbits I just picked up regarding the use of
Adobe's free Acrobat software to fill out properly-constructed PDF forms.

In prior versions of the Adobe Reader, you could adjust your accessibility
settings so that tags in documents would not be ignored. In this way,
whenever you opened up a properly-constructed PDF form, JAWS would verbalize
the form fields and even enable you to enter information.

In the latest version of Adobe Acrobat, this setting has disappeared. Thus,
when I went to open up a PDF form document, JAWS could not detect the form
fields.

(parenthetically speaking, some of you have have noticed that the
traditional menus that we used to see in older versions of Adobe Acrobat
have disappeared. The only menu left is the File Menu, which you can reach
by pressing ALT+F after opening a PDF file._)

The solution is to open the PDF form document, press CTRL+SHIFT+5 to bring
up the Reading Preferences dialog, and then to choose the "Infer reading
order from document" option, which says it is the recommended choice.

Try as I might, I could not find anything written up about this anywhere.

Warm regards,

Curtis Chong, Treasurer

National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science