[NFBCS] no display in old browser

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat Apr 13 18:07:44 UTC 2024

Rather delayed answer to your idea of implementing Javascript support in a text-based browser:

I imagine that the biggest challenge with this would be the necessary change in paradigm for the display of
the text. Currently I think the text is displayed in a static fashion and through a pager. To make most
Javascript pages work, I think, one would need to redesign that as something like a Curses-based,
realtime-updatable plane of text, where the content could be changed at any moment and, when that change
intersects the currently shown portion of text, produce immediate redisplay of all or part of the current
screen. I don't know Curses very well from the coding side, but I would be surprised if it could natively
handle, say, a 500-page virtual text space with a tiny visible portion. If that's true, the implementation
would need to model the text itself and then update Curses appropriately as that model changed. Finally, we
then have the same issue that screen readers and, for example, their place markers have: If page 105 is
showing and page 2 suddenly doubles in length, where should my cursor and visible segment of text be? I
think users would prefer the text to remain stable but the page count, if shown, to increase appropriately. But
that becomes an interesting trick to implement depending on what system is used to represent the text in the
first place.

Just my thoughts on a windy Saturday afternoon.