[NFBCS] Possible Mistake and Confusion regarding Microsoft Outlook

portillo.jim at gmail.com portillo.jim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 02:57:44 UTC 2024

Greetings!

I'm reaching out to seek some clarification regarding Outlook on my new
computer with Windows 11, as I'm encountering some confusion.

Long story short. After some recent computer issues, yesterday, I upgraded
to a new computer and was able to set it up with Windows 11, JAWS 2024, and
Office 365 without any issues. However, I've run into some trouble with
Outlook. Here's a brief overview of the situation:

1.	Outlook Options: When I searched for "Outlook" in the start menu, I
was presented with "Outlook New," which is the new app currently discussed.
I am aware that this new version does not work as well with JAWS. I thought
it would be best to continue using "Outlook Classic," which I've used
successfully for years, but I couldn't find this option. With time, I
figured I'd transition to the new Outlook, if that was the thing to do. I
figured I could set the new app up with a different email address for
practice.
2.	Uninstallation and Reinstallation: I inadvertently opened "Outlook
New" but exited before setting anything up. Following this, I contacted the
Microsoft Disability Line for assistance. The rather impatient and sometimes
rude representative helped me by uninstalling and reinstalling Office, but
in the process, the newer Outlook app was removed. He thought it was easier
for him to do that removal. At times, I wasn't able to understand everything
he was saying, and by the time he was removing the app, it was too late to
do anything about it. I was told by the representative that "Outlook
Classic" would remain available indefinitely, and that I shouldn't worry.
This raises a few questions for me.
3.	Current Confusion: I'm now unsure whether I should try to reinstall
the new Outlook app or continue using "Outlook Classic" for the time being.
The information I received was conflicting. I was told that "Outlook New"
was not part of Office and that it replaced the Windows Mail app and is a
permanent feature, but I'm unclear on the purpose of the new app if "Outlook
Classic" is still available.

Could someone please clarify the following:

*	Is "Outlook Classic" indeed going to be available long-term, or is
there a planned phase-out?
*	Should I reinstall "Outlook New" now or wait until it becomes more
compatible with JAWS?
*	What is the intended purpose of the new Outlook app, and how should
I approach this transition?

Your guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in
advance for your assistance.

Jim