[NFBCS] Looking for some advice on how to properly retire a Windows laptop?

Maurice Mines maurice at mmines.org
Fri Aug 9 22:37:49 UTC 2024

Hello everyone, I learned yesterday that a request to actually replace my windows machine was approved. This machine has mini problems. Cheap among them a dying  	battery.

My dilemma now is do I completely wipe the machine so it's not to pass along my personal Data, or is there an easier way to prevent any of this from happening.

It appears that this system has bit longer running on it which, I would probably never do. Because this machine never travels. I am from everything I've read that's the only time you really want to encrypt your hard drive is when flying or using the machine in unfamiliar locations.

Is there any accessible dry wiping software, that can delete all data on the drive most importantly all of my personal information, and of course any information that may have accidentally been put on a while dictating notes, letters etc. On behalf of our organization. Not that anything we do is extremely secret but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to shareing. I am asking all these questions because I'm running out of options and getting frustrated. With the process of trying to make sure that the old windows laptop doesn't create issues for me or anyone else in the future, assuming that I decide to give it to say computers for the blind, or someone that I know that really needs and older Windows machine.

I want to thank the list in advance or any assistance, suggestions. Also to just be clear this machine is not terribly old it only is 2 1/2 to 3/4 years old. Unfortunately a battery replacement appears to cost a fortune. You have one tax on the companies tech charge the battery charge etc. And given the fact that this machine seems to be running slower and slower every time I use it it seems it's probably best to get ready for the new one. I do have a functional laptop for traveling and when I'm not here. That machine is doing great. In fact I'm dictating this email on machine. Have an outstanding Friday night and weekend

Maurice A. Mines.
President National Federation of the blind def blind  division.
US amateur radio call sign,kd0iko.