[NFBCS] Important Note for JAWS Users: Possible Bug in the Chromium Engine

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 00:34:25 UTC 2024

From: Curtis Chong <chong.curtis at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2024 6:32 PM
To: support at vispero.com
Subject: Important Note for JAWS Users: Possible Bug in the Chromium Engine

Greetings and salutations:

I have identified what I believe to be a bug with Chromium, the engine which
supports both the Chrome and Edge browsers. This bug affects users of Google
Drive--a Google Workspace product for which first-letter navigation has been
rolled out starting the beginning of August of this year.

Let me start by identifying the running versions of Edge and Chrome that I
have running on my system.

Edge: Version 128.0.2739.42

Chrome: Version 128.0.6613.85

Here are the steps to reproduce a significant problem that is manifested in
Google Drive.

1.	Send either Chrome or Edge to drive.google.com and ensure you are
signed in to your Google Drive.
2.	With the JAWS Virtual Cursor off, enter the command sequence ALT+G,
then F. You should be presented with a list of folders.
3.	Arrow down to a folder you know to contain files and/or folders and
press Enter. What you should get is a list of folders and/or files that are
contained in the folder you just opened. What you get instead is JAWS
focusing on something called "Not Selected Row".

This sequence produces the same erroneous result in both Google Chrome and
Edge whereas in Mozilla Firefox, you get the list of folders and files you
would expect to get.

This seems to be a bug in the Chromium engine given that both Chrome and
Edge seem to be afflicted with this bug.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong