[NFBCS] Blast from the past

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Sun Feb 25 14:32:08 UTC 2024

I'm going through and throwing out a lot of old stuff, and I found a review
from AFB of 4 laptops adapted for the blind.  I guess it's from the late
'80's, roughly.

The laptops cost between $1500 and $2500.  2 had RAM of 40K.  One had 20K!
One of them used micro-cassettes for storage.

I had one of them myself, the Toshiba 1100 from Artic Tech.  It weighed 8
pounds, but it had a whopping 640K of RAM, and 2 floppy disk drives.  It's
no wonder I have herniated disks in my neck, schlepping that thing and/or
the Versabraille around.  But it did the job I needed done.

Anyway, I thought people might enjoy the blast from the past.

Tracy