[NFBCS] Blast from the past

dan.tevelde at comcast.net dan.tevelde at comcast.net
Tue Feb 27 19:23:29 UTC 2024

I loved IBM Screenreader and used it when I was a mainframe programmer. When
I migrated to Windows, I started using JAWS.  One of the things I liked
about IBM Screenreader is the possibility of listening to text in one part
of the screen while operating the keyboard with my left hand and using my
right hand to pan a Navigator 20 display. Sometimes I wish screenreaders
could be operated by a keypad to free up the computer keyboard for other
things. I didn't like my navigator. It had a button to link and unlink the
panning keys from the cursor and that button made loud and annoying beeps.
The software which the navigator used constantly crashed my DOS PS/2
computer.

I remember another experience in high school where my school for the blind
acquired the original Kurzweil reading machine. It didn't work well enough
for me to use it for my classes at the public school where I was
mainstreamed. It constantly issued an error message saying it couldn't see a
next line. It ignored column mode which made it next to impossible to read
the magazine articles I needed for one of my classes. In one case it scanned
something and spoke an expletive. I spelled through the text and spelled the
word, and it was an expletive which wasn't in the original print. Being a
typical high school student, I laughed uproariously. The machine crashed
frequently and needed to be rebooted from a tape. That process took about 15
minutes. I fought with the people at the school for the blind and convinced
them that I would need readers to record things I needed for class. The
reading machine wasn't good enough for prime time and I couldn't keep up
reading text with an optacon. I still think there is a place for a new type
of optacon but that's another story.

Dan