[NFBCS] Pearson VUE Testing Acomodations for the ISC2 Certified Information Systems Professional (CISSP) Exam

Beth Fogle-Hatch beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 20:03:37 UTC 2024

Hello Harry,, all,

Harry, I'm sorry for the experience you had with Pearson Vue. I had a
similar experience back in 2015, so I'm disappointed and discouraged to
hear about yours. I asked Pearson Vue to allow me to use JAWS to take
the CISSP(Certified Information Systems Security  Program) exam in 2015.
I believe the test measured my computer experience and knowledge in many
areas and therefore, I should have been able to take the test using a
computer ans assistive technology. I exchanged many letters with ISSC2
(the certifying body) and Pearson Vue, (testing provider.) Each blamed
the other for the difficulty I had with arranging accommodations,
getting an accessible test with JAWS, and taking the test. Although
human readers are a valuable and efficient means of accommodation, I did
not want to use double time (at that time it could have been up to 12
hours because in 2015 sighted people were given six hours to take the
250 question test) the computer would be quicker and more efficient for me.

Consequently, after much discussion and negotiation, a PDF version of
the CISSP test was produced for my use and I took the test with a
proctor in the room with me. The test contained static answers, meaning
they did not change based on the previous answers I provided. I was told
the "dynamic" nature of this test, and the inaccessible Pearson Vue test
was why I couldn't take the same test as my sighted peers.

The problem was made worse when I learned I did not pass the test in my
opinion due to mislabeled choice answers. For example,the second check
box should read the answer and then "2 out of five" to show how many
choices were available while reading each choice for a particular
question. Instead, though I knew I was on the second question, the
description would say "three out of five." Hence, it was difficult to
know if I was choosing the second or third answer.

I wrote Pearson Vue and ISSC2 again and explained my problems with the
check boxes and was told they hired an accessibility expert to make this
file. If I did not pass the test due to my lack of study or knowledge,
that's on me, but the test was not accessible due to its errors.

I approached the NFB for support, and although the staff understood my
stress and frustration, they decided not to take my case. Now that there
are many of us doing these certification exams, I hope we will fight
this now as it is imperative blind people have the same opportunities as
our sighted colleagues do to  take and pass these high stakes
certification exams as they are required for our career advancement.

Best