[NFBCS] JAWS accessible course in Computer Networking with labs

dan.tevelde at comcast.net dan.tevelde at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 18:25:26 UTC 2024

Last year I attempted to enroll in a training course which used Packet Tracer. I couldn't use it at all. I had a meeting with school staff and Cisco and Cisco accused me of not trying the features or reviewing their documentation. I didn't find their documentation accessible. I asked Cisco if they had any accessibility testers with disabilities and they responded that they had a blind tester at one time but not currently. When I pressed them about why they didn't use people with disabilities they responded by asking me what was in it for them. I pointed out the legal ramifications by their lack of compliance with civil rights laws. I reviewed their voluntary product accessibility templates, and they are a joke. There are numerous exceptions to WCAG success criteria. The meeting ended on an ugly note, and I decided not to pursue the training program. I'm aware of training programs for the blind which use Packet Tracer, but I couldn't find anyone who successfully used packet Tracer. If Cisco is going to have a cavalier attitude toward the disability community, I wouldn't bother with them or recommend them to anyone else. I have pursued other employment options.

Dan