[NFBCS] Research study opportunity at national convention on accessible data visualization

Gene Kim gene.sh.kim at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:38:13 UTC 2024

Hi all,

See below for two research opportunities from July 3 - 5 at national
convention. These projects are lead by a blind professor/researcher and
seem like very important work. My understanding is that these have been
through the NFB research solicitation process.

Participate in paid research on accessible graphics

We are a group of researchers from the University of Nevada Las Vegas,
Saint Louis University, the University of Maine, and the University of
Alabama in Huntsville. As part of an NSF-funded project, we are exploring
how to convey graphics (such as charts and graphs) on touchscreens using
vibrations and sounds for individuals with low vision or blindness. User
input is critical in designing new technology interfaces, and we need your
feedback!

We are bringing two studies to the NFB 2024 National Convention.
Individuals can select to participate in one or both studies.

In these studies, we will learn how individuals interact with and
understand data presented in different nonvisual formats, including
graphics conveyed by verbal descriptions, using a touchscreen-based
interface, and using traditional paper-based graphics in tactile form. As a
participant, you will explore charts on a touchscreen and answer questions
about them.

Any adult (18 years or older) individual with low vision or blindness
present at the 2024 NFB Convention may participate. Individuals must have
sensation in their fingers, mobility of their dominant hand and arm, and
have a functional level of hearing to participate. We expect each study to
take around 60 minutes. Individuals will each be compensated for their time
with a $50 Amazon gift card per study they participate in.

We will have time slots available on July 3th and July 4th. To learn more
or to enter either study, please e-mail the research team (
touchscreenstudies at gmail.com) with preferred days and times for study
participation. Please indicate in your email that you are an NFB Annual
Convention attendee and if you would like to participate in one or both
studies.

Cheers,

Gene