[NFBCS] node.js question

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Mon Jul 8 17:13:06 UTC 2024

It's been a year for me since I've played with this, but I'll try to help.
Using Codespaces means that it runs the node processes remotely "in the
cloud". There's no way for that remote process to open a browser on your PC.

All Codespaces does is to clone a GitHub repository and run an instance of
Visual Studio Code (vscode) in that folder. It just does it all remotely.
You can do this locally, entirely on your own PC if you like. Running `npm
start` or `npm run start` on your local PC will automatically launch your
browser.

- Install vscode (if you're running windows, just run "winget install
vscode" from the terminal)
- Install nodejs (in windows terminal type "winget install nodejs")
- Optionally install git (I think you already have)

At this point you now basically have your development environment. Note
that if you're using a mac, you can do similar installs from the terminal
if you first install "homebrew", but I won't go into details here.

>From the terminal you can create a directory to host your projects.
Terminal opens in your home directory, so perhaps just add a "projects"
directory here by typing "mkdir projects" in the terminal. Then navigate
into that directory with "cd projects".

>From there you can "git clone" a project into a subdirectory (perhaps using
the same repos you created in your training courses). Or run "npm
create-react-app" to create a blank app in a subdirectory. Then "cd" into
that subdirectory.

>From the project directory you can run "code ." (the period at the end
there says use the CURRENT directory) to open visual studio code in the
project directory. And at this point your experience should be nearly
identical to what you learned in your course. Except that when you run "npm
start", it should run the project on your personal PC and launch your
browser automatically.

Side note, unlike Codespaces, VSCode doesn't show the terminal by default.
You can toggle this visible using the Ctrl+~ (control+tilde) shortcut.
Tilde is the key to the left of the 1 key.