[NFBCS] git question

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Mon Jul 8 17:34:35 UTC 2024

There should never be any "zipping" involved in using Git + GitHub. Easiest
thing here is:

1. First create the github repository using your browser. Choose
an appropriate project type (e.g., NodeJS or React) to create a .gitignore
file for that kind of project.
2. On your PC in your terminal "git clone" this repository into a directory.
3. Now on your PC, copy all of the files you want to "upload" into this new
directory. Note that often you'd want a separate GitHub repository per
project. But if you are doing a lot of tutorial projects and just want to
save time, you can create a single repository and just dump all of your
tutorial projects in there as separate subdirectories.
4. In the terminal, cd into the directory that you cloned into. Then you
can then add ALL of the files you just copied to the git repository with
this command:

  git add --all

Then commit them with:

  git commit -m "some message goes here"

Finally "push" them (i.e., upload them) with:

  git push

It is also possible to use "git init" and "git add remote" to turn an
existing project folder into a git repository instead of copying all of the
files into a closed directory, bypassing steps 2 & 3 above. But it's a bit
more involved and error prone as it involves merging.