[NFBCS] Problems when sharing a dvd over Zoom

sean.mcmahon.dc at gmail.com sean.mcmahon.dc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 21:22:26 UTC 2024

Because of restrictions, you can no longer stream from services like
netflicks or Amazon Prime over Zoom.  At my church we host a movie over zoom
each month and have a conversation about the topic.  When I last volunteered
to host the movie over zoom, I shared the VLC media player window with the
sound over the zoom account.  When I did this, participants complained they
could hear but not see the film.  The only way to resolve this was to share
my whole screen.  This worked, but I could not operate the zoom meeting
because there is no way others could see the movie while I'm admitting
participants, muting people etc.  Can someone explain to me how to share the
VLC media window over zoom so that participants can see the movie and I can
still operate the meting?  I'm scheduled to host next month and would rather
not feel like I'm forced to rely on someone else to operate the meeting.
You know, one of those Oh the blind guy can't do it kind of things I'd like
to avoid.

If it matters, I am using zoom on Windows 11 and the most up-to-date version
of VLC Media player.  Perhaps there is another DVD operating program that
works better?

Sean