[NFBCS] How To Sign A PDF

Bhavya shah bhavya.shah125 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 06:38:38 UTC 2024

Dear all,

I have a PDF which seems otherwise accessible. It has two fields for
me to input two different digital signatures. I am using NVDA 2023.3
with Adobe Acrobat DC 23.8.20555.0. What I have tried so far:
1. Get to the Quick Tools toolbar using Shift+F6, and then Tab to "Add
your signature or initials menu button." I entered my initials in it
and tried saving them, but that seems to have no effect on the
signature field.
2. While the signature fields appear misleadingly as plain text
("Student’s Signature (Click to sign) Signature field is unsigned"), I
can press Enter on it to reveal additional options. I am then prompted
to click the "Configure Digital ID" button and then, since I have no
pre-existing digital ID to import, I select "Create a new Digital ID
Create your self-signed Digital ID." Doing so and pressing "Continue"
opens a screen with information about buying signature devices and
plugging in smart cards and such. Surely there is a simpler way of
inserting my initials into these signature fields?

I did some research and according to this thread
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/jaws_and_adobe_adding/30221340?p=,
it sounds like this was not possible at least some time ago. I am
hoping things have changed since. Are you aware of any methods for a
screen reader user to independently sign a PDF?

I would truly appreciate any thoughts and inputs!

Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24