[Nfbf-l] Heads up on BJs

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Fri Dec 5 06:01:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I had an access issue at BJs today.  I was stopped by an employee at the
door who asked if Orsa was a service dog. I said yes she was and the person
said she couldn't let me in unless I showed her an ID.  I said that I had an
ID but I was not required to show it and that by asking for it she was
vilating the ADA.  she said her manager said she had to ask for an ID.  I
opened my wallet and I took out an ADA info card and handed it to her.  ?The
first line on the card reads "if you are reading this then you have probably
already violated the ADA".  I said that she should read it and then show it
to her manager.  I then walked into the store with no further incident.

I don't know if this is BJs new policy or if it was just this one manager
but I figured I would give everyone a heads up to be prepared.

I am thinking of calling the store tomorrow to make a complaint.

JODY