[Nfbf-l] NFB has won a pilot to train blind bvets

REPCODDS at aol.com REPCODDS at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 23:34:25 UTC 2008

Ladies and Gentleman,
I understand the NFB has won a 4 million dollar  grant from the feds  to  run
a pilot program against the VA on training blind vets.
I am being personally blasted on the battingthebreeze list serve   about this
matter.
If you  get any heat about this please see my comments below.

Blind Veterans deserve the best the government has to offer.
For years the VA's has run a program that was take it or leave it.   Veterans
never were informed about informed choice or what it meant to  them.
Veterans were trained all the same and depending on how persistent you  were
would directly result in what you received from the VA as
support.IE(prosthetics)
If you made yourself well informed you were in great shape , but if you  were
just blind and alone, well you were at there beck and call.  I had  several
times been told if you don't know what to ask for then we can't  help you.
That time has to change and so , the NFB is going to be able to run a side
by side  training program comparing results against the VA's training  program
. If the VA's results  are better then so be it. If the NFB's  results are
better because of our methods then I  say it is time for a  change  in methods,
and Veterans deserve the best this country can  provide.
So watch out for the nay sayers because they are out there.
Dwight