[Nfbf-l] statue at capitol with Braille Plaque

elizabeth McNally bethmac at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 21 03:51:40 UTC 2008

I am doing as requested.

I would like you to forward this e-mail around Florida and the nation.

I want the blind to know about Michael D. Jernigan and the Officer Down
statue that I dreamed up at the 2006 State Legislature. After missing the
"Officer Down Memorial" in the courtyard of the capitol many times I gave
the issue serious thought. And decided that the memorial needed an attention
getting mechanism.

I thought an officer down, with a female officer holding him, radioing for
help was the right idea. I presented it to all the capitol police and other
visiting the legislator police. The all liked the idea and urged me on. I
asked Michael if he was interested in the project and he liked it
immediately.

He asked two capitol police to pose for many pictures on the 22nd floor,
which also has no restrooms for people in wheelchairs. This floor is where
banquets are held and is well window lighted. The first batch of photos
didn't capture what I wanted. They did it again and we had the right photo
pose that I wanted.

The costs were calculated, and it was about $225,000. Michael got Senator
Crist to do a Senate Resolution to support the project, and designate us to
raise the money in care of the Florida Paraplegic Assoc. and I did the
initial ground work with Management Services. I am not a money raiser and
told the artist and sculptor, that I was striking out. And along came
Riveria who I had also written to. He jumped at the idea and the rest is
history. Project paid for. And to be unveiled at the next legislative
session.

Michael, then came up with an idea to do a minature of the statue, with the
plaque that will read as follows. Michael, hit a home run, in making sure
that the blind would not be left out.

On March 9, the statue is scheduled to be unveiled. So forward this
everywhere, so the blind will know that they too, can participate in the
memorial. And the unveiling of the project.

I am very proud of Michael and his thoughtfulness. I don't know where this
project ranks among his resume of accomplishments, but I suspect is is very
high.

In 1974 we fought for legislation that included the blind. In 1975 I took on
the dean of the house, the chairman of the tax and finance committee to pass
a tax break bill for people in wheelchairs and the blind. When the dust
settled, that bill was passed. The statue ranks just as high with me.

Denny R.Wood, President

Florida Paraplegic Association, Inc.

Others